Parts for Detroit Diesel 8V53-
Select Type +
If there is any doubt as to which type of engine you have, look for the model number or the serial number on the engine block. The model number will always be an eight digit code, such as 5081-3000. Parts on this page work with engine models that start with 508. It is important to note that if you have a model number that has a 3 for the eight digit, such as 5081-3300 then you have a turbo engine.
These engines also have a serial number associate with them. This number will start with an 8D followed by numbers, such as 8D 123456.
This engine is also called the V8-53 or the 8V-53.
Horsepower, Torque and General Information
The 8V53 is a 2 cycle, 8 cylinder engine with displacement of 6.96 liters or 424 cubic inches. It has 5 main bearings, a stroke of 4.5 inches and a bore of 3.875 inches.
The cooling system has a capacity of 5 gallons.
All values below for the Detroit 8V53 engine are based on 85 degree F ambient temperature, at an elevation of 500 feet. Horsepower is measured as brake horsepower or shaft horsepower for marine use.
• Torque with N40 or N45 injectors: 473 LB FT at 1500 RPM, 461 LB FT at 2000 RPM, 444 LB FT max at 2400 RPM.
• Brake Horsepower with N40 or N45 injectors: 135 at 1500 RPM, 176 at 2000 RPM, 203 at 2400 RPM.
• Torque with N45 injectors: 541 LB FT at 1500 RPM, 515 LB FT at 2000 RPM, 475 LB FT at 2500 RPM.
• Brake Horsepower (Rated): 155 at 1500 RPM, 195 at 2000 RPM, 226 at 2500 RPM.
• Brake Horsepower (Continuous): 128 at 1500 RPM, 159 at 2000 RPM, 173 max at 2400 RPM.
• Shaft Horsepower (Rated): 158 at 1500 RPM, 210 at 2000 RPM, 240 at 2500 RPM.
Other Popular Engine Categories
If you need parts for other engines, be sure to check out our other engine pages: